czwartek, 29 stycznia 2015

Slawomir Jaskulke – Sea (2014)

Sławomir Jaskułke

Sławomir Jaskułke - piano

Sea

PRIVATE EDITION





By Adam Baruch

This is the sixth solo album by the Polish Jazz pianist/composer Sławomir Jaskułke and his third solo piano recording. The album presents a five-part solo piano suite, composed and performed by Jaskulke, using extensive sound effects, which make the music sound unusually spacey and full of reverb and echo.

The album follows the trend of its predecessor, and pursues a clear path away from the Jazz idiom, which was Jaskulke's initial playground, towards minimal music, characterized by repetitive patterns and ambient drone music. As much as I respect Jaskulke for his past achievements, this music does nothing to me, and in fact is quite difficult for me to listen to. The distorted sound and reverb are physically unpleasant after a few minutes getting progressively worse in time. I admit not being able to listen to the album in its entirety.

As usual in such cases, I blame myself entirely for not being able to like and appreciate this music. Jaskulke is an immensely talented musician and I hope that he'll find his way back to Jazz at some point in his life, wishing him all the best with whatever path he chooses to follow.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...