poniedziałek, 27 października 2014

Rob Brown/Daniel Levin/Jacek Mazurkiewicz - Day In The Life Of A City (2014)

Rob Brown/Daniel Levin/Jacek Mazurkiewicz

Rob Brown - alto saxophone
Daniel Levin - cello
Jacek Mazurkiewcz - contrabass

Day In The Life Of A City

MPI029



By Dirk Blasejezak

I really like the cello in jazz music. The Enterout Trio is even after five years still on heavy rotation at my player. For this reason, I was really looking forward to this album, for not only the cello is unusual, but also the very general formation you probably won't find very often.

I was especially interested in Jacek Mazurkiewicz. His innovative - but fortunately not destructive - handling of the bass had me noticing him a while ago, even though he didn't appear on many recordings. This however has changed with the latest Pulsarus ... and 3FoNIA I'm very much anticipating! Rob Brown certainly doesn't have to be introduced and Daniel Levin, with whom Rob Brown has often collaborated in recent years, is an internationally acknowledged musician.

Nevertheless, I was somehow disappointed by this album. The pieces seem to lack a concept. And I mean that as Free Jazz fan. It makes a difference whether you improvise together freely or whether you play side by side without listining to each other. But that is exactly the impression I get here on the majority of the tracks. There are fortunately exceptions: "Friction" or "Stretchy" are examples of songs that I like. Here the three created something together, something I rarely experience on the other tracks of this album. The quieter pieces seem to suit the trio more. Maybe it's the sparse use of the saxophone on these tracks, or maybe the “younger ones” simply have more in common, especially a musical language. All in all I had hoped for much more of this album.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...