sobota, 19 lutego 2011

Tomasz Stańko - Leosia (2000)

Of all days in a week I like Saturday most. At least I have enough time to listen to music without haste and with relaxed mind not being distracted by usual worries of private or work life. Additionally in the evenings I often go to concerts with friends which doubles the pleasures of the day. This Saturday I go back to album of Tomasz Stańko titled "Leosia" and continue my unofficial discography of this colossus of Polish jazz. Previous parts of this cycle were (in chronological order): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
"Leosia" is in my opinion the best album Tomasz Stańko recorded for ECM: the sound he conjured on his trumpet is truly magical: slow, pensive, meditative. Support he enjoyed from pianist Bobo Stenson and bassist Anders Jormin is exemplary: the level of empathy between them rise to standard as set by great Bill Evans trio with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian. 
However the man of the day is here Tony Oxley. His play is "parsecs" (again bow to M.L.) away from what other percussionists call "jazz drumming". I find no words appropriate to describe his performance on this record and I would strongly recommend you to simply listen to this music through drums perspective. Follow each beat, each tap, each touch of his drumsticks and your idea of rhythm, this power-base of modern jazz music, will be eventually completely upgraded.   
Here is a link to song from this album titled "Hungry Howl"... 
  

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...